How to create Sponsored Messages ads
If you want to retarget existing customers or interested buyers, then you can try sending Sponsored Messages. As mentioned above, you’ll only be able to send this type of ad to people that have messaged your Facebook Page in the past.
This limited targeting option avoids making users feel like branded messages are invading their personal space.
These ads are only labeled “Sponsored” once the chat is opened, so they blend in with every other conversation on the Messenger home screen.
An example of a Sponsored Messages ad within Messenger. Source: Silicon Angle
- To set up this type of ad, select Create Ad from within Facebook Business Manager.
- Then you’ll select the Messages objective—this is the only one you can select for Sponsored Messages.If you want to send multiple messages to the same person, you’ll need to select Create Multiple New Ad Sets at the top of the Ad Set section.
- In the Messages section, select Sponsored Message from the ad type drop-down and then choose the Facebook Page you’d like to send the message from.
- Then, a custom audience will automatically be created featuring the people who have engaged with your Page through Messenger in the past. The audience size must include at least 20 people.
- Then you’ll have to select Automatic Placements as you cannot feature the ad in other places.
- Click Turn On when the Messenger placement notification displays.
- Now you’ll need to specify your budget and schedule.
- Then you’ll need to choose whether you’d like the message to appear as Text Only or Image & Text in the Message Setup section.
- After that, it’s time to select the Page you’d like the ad to be connected to in the Page & Links section.
- Last, you’ll need to set a CTA such as Sign Up Now.
- Once all the information has been added, you’ll want to preview the ad to check for any errors.
- Finally, if everything looks correct, click Place Order to publish your ad.
Find out more about Sponsored messages here